Monday, January 9, 2012

I reacted

It's been a long weekend. One that has, no less, been just as challenging as it has been lengthy. In the midst of it all, I have continued to learn and attempt to put into practice new lessons.


I got home from work Friday night to the announcement that my washing machine was broken. Immediately, my emotions flared as I realized how far behind I would be on laundry by Monday and the fact that both time and money were lacking in replacing the washer as quickly as I may wish. I rapidly entered a self-pity and blaming attitude and my husband was the recipient of the rush of words. Just a few minutes later, I heard that still small voice - the thin silence of the Spirit.


Hannah, you just reacted in the flesh to a circumstance in life. But I have empowered you to respond in My Spirit by letting My peace reign in your heart even in the midst of chaos. When you don't understand, trust that I do. I'm still in control.


In that moment, I realized that a dynamic difference exist between reacting and responding. When my eyes are focused on myself and the chaos and storms around me, my temper flares, I claim rights, walk in pride, stiff arm God, and alienate relationships around me. However, if I keep my eyes fixed on Jesus (the author and perfecter of my faith), I will be given the grace in that moment of need to respond in his Spirit.


Note: this doesn't mean that I walk on "cloud nine" 24-7 pretending that life is fine and dandy amidst terrible things that happen. Life happens; life hurts. But by taking that hurt, my questions, and my emotions to God, I am given the ability to take that next step with the Spirit and see the fruit of Him working in my life - resulting in greater Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control.


The Fruit is possible! I just have to remember that fruitfulness doesn't come from my own pursuit but by allowing Christ's Spirit to live in me.


My husband and I worked things out, and I got things right with God as well. Lord, thank you for forgiveness and grace to start again. Help me keep my eyes fixed on you and allow your Spirit to continue its work in my heart and life.



Picture of the Day
Yes, I continued taking pictures over the weekend, but didn't have time to post them - here they are...


Day 6: This is Elijah - He pressed his face to the window to show me his piggy nose :)

Day 7: Noticed this hand print on the mirror of my wardrobe. I was half tempted to clean it off, but then decided to capture it - realizing these little "nuisances" will be gone all too soon!

Day 8: My best friends today after only getting 4 hours of sleep!

Day 9: Some of a mother's most useful tools during the infant period! I use these multiple times a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment