Monday, January 16, 2012

Childlike in thought - in more ways than one.

This morning, my 7 month old was crying as he lay on the floor surrounded by toys of different shapes, sizes and colors. I had to get my 2-year-old some breakfast and get something to drink myself before picking him up to nurse him. I accomplished what I needed to and made my way over to him. Looking down at his pitiful face, I calmly stated. "Honey, I know your needs, and I WILL meet them."

As these words came out of my mouth, I started thinking . . . how many times does Christ speak through his Holy Spirit. "I know your needs. I WILL meet them." Yet I keep on just like my little boy, kicking, screaming, and wondering if He even knows I exist.

Then, the other day, our family was out in the snow for quite a while when my 2-year-old emphatically stated that he was cold and wanted to go home. My husband got down on his level and told him that we were going home. He just needed to trust Mommy and Daddy. What my son didn't realize was that we still had a three block walk to get back to the car. In his mind, we were keeping him out in the cold longer. In reality, we were heading back to our vehicle as quickly as possible to get out of the wind and get him home to get warm.

How many times do I keep whining when Christ is answering my request as I speak, but I don't trust him. I think, "Well, we're not home yet, so I guess he doesn't care to get me out of the cold."

This kind of trust - the trust that we long for our kids to have in us....that we love them, we know their needs, and we will meet them just as we promised.... is the same kind of "Childlike Trust" God wants us to have in Him.

That's why He has given us the Holy Spirit in the first place - to meet each of those needs. Luke Chapter 11 says that even you, though you are evil, give good gifts to your children. Will not God much more give the HOLY SPIRIT to those who ask?

Lord, I want to live and walk in your Holy Spirit today. Give me that childlike trust in you that you will do that which you've promised.

*Pictures of the day will only occasionally be posted here now - All are posted on my facebook page : )
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment