Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Giving Thanks and "Giving" Thanks


May 31, 2013

I don’t even know where to start this morning. I feel anger. I feel sadness. I feel alone. I feel overwhelmed. I feel exhausted. And in the same moment, I don’t feel like I’m allowed to feel any of those things – yet neither can I be strong. Mixed messages confusing the heart and causing the tears to fall (maybe I should just schedule crying time into every day right now) Finding the heart is deep, overwhelming, rushing mad emotion that I don’t know what to do with…

Eucharisteo is giving thanks – “giving thanks” – being the blessing in addition to being grateful for the blessing. He took up the towel and the basin and gave thanks and washed the disciples feet encouraging them to go and do likewise. It was a dirty job, one only fit for the lowest of slaves – yet, our Savior, perfect and holy and deserving of honor, humbled himself and knelt at the feet of his followers to show them how to “give thanks” to others. It is only in being emptied that we can be truly filled.
 

Father, you must know and understand, better than anyone else, how living this eucharisteo life is beyond hard – it is impossible without your spirit’s guidance and daily step with you. Humility, Service, Gratitude – just a few aspects that characterize this life. Seeing you in the faces, and maybe if I could, the “Giving thanks” would come easier as I were kneeling to be a blessing to you.

Show me the basin and the towel today, Papa. I humble myself before you and I long to see my work as service to you and those around me. Help me learn what it means to “give thanks” today. May I follow your perfect example in washing the feet of those around me and being the blessing in their lives.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment